How to enroll in Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal
You can apply for the Medi-Cal program any time during the year.
Before you can enroll with Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal, you must first apply to the Medi-Cal program by following the steps below.
Step 1 – Applying for benefits
There are four ways to apply for Medi-Cal:
- Online: On Covered California’s or your local county social service office website
- Over the phone: By calling a local county social service office*
- By mail: Either to Covered California or your local county social service office*
- In-person: At your local county human services office*
* Find your local county human services office information below, or search for your local county social service information online.
|Los Angeles County Department of Public Services (DPSS)||San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA)|
|Los Angeles County DPSS website
Covered California website
|San Diego County HHSA website
Covered California website
|Phone||(866) 613-3777 [TTY: (800) 660-4026]
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
|(866) 262-9881 [TTY: (619) 589-4459]
7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
|Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services
P.O. Box 77267
Los Angeles, CA 90007-9819
|County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency
P.O. Box 939044
San Diego CA 92193-9005
|In person||Apply in-person at a DPSS office near you||Apply in-person at a Family Resource or Live-Well Center near you|
Health Care Options (HCO) is a California program that helps people receiving Medi-Cal to understand their benefits and how to enroll in a health plan. People needing more help or who have questions can call Health Care Options:
Phone: (800) 430-4263 [TTY: (800) 430-7077], 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.
If you're interested in joining Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal, our enrollment team is here to help you through the enrollment process. This includes finding a doctor. We will answer any of your questions.
Phone:(866) 820-6009 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Step 2 – After you apply
After finishing your application, if you qualify, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) will mail you a Medi-Cal benefits identification card (BIC). You can use your BIC to get services under fee-for-service (also called regular Medi-Cal). You can do this until you are enrolled in a health plan.
Step 3 – Completing your Medi-Cal Choice form
Health Care Options (HCO) will also mail you an enrollment packet that includes a Medi-Cal Choice form. You will need to:
- Choose a health plan (all options are listed on the form)
- Choose a doctor. To find a Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan doctor you want, you can:
- Write the health plan's name, doctor's name, and your ID number on the HCO form
- Mail the Medi-Cal Choice form back in the envelope provided in your enrollment packet
Note: If you do not tell Health Care Options of your choices within 30 days, they will choose a health plan and doctor for you. This is called "automatic assignment."
You can change your primary care physician (PCP), medical group, and/or health plan at any time.
To change your PCP and/or medical group call us:
Los Angeles phone:(800) 605-2556 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
San Diego phone:(855) 699-5557 (TTY: 711) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
Want to transfer to another health plan?
If you are already enrolled in a Medi-Cal Plan you can transfer to Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal at any time.
To change Medi-Cal plans you can:
- Call us at (866) 820-6009 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Call Health Care Options* at (800) 430-4263 [TTY: (800) 430-7077], 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays
- Mail a completed Medi-Cal Choice Form to Health Care Options* (You can request a choice form from Health Care Options, Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan, or download the form)
*L.A. Care Health Plan members: If you are an L.A. Care member or an L.A. Care Plan Partner member (Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan, Kaiser Permanente), and would like to transfer from one L.A. Care Plan to another, you should call L.A. Care Health Plan’s Member Services Department at (888) 452-2273 (TTY: 711), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and request a plan partner transfer.
Find a doctor
Other plan information
Find more information about Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal plans, benefits, and health and wellness programs.
L.A Care website
Find information from our partner in Los Angeles County.
San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency website
Find information from the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency.