How to renew your Medi-Cal coverage
We want you to keep your Medi-Cal coverage. Please make sure to check your mail and always update your address with Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan. Be sure to do the same with your county. The phone numbers you need for this are listed below.
If you have any questions about the renewal process or need help with the renewal packet:
Call Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan Medi-Cal Retention Department at (855) 636-5251 (TTY: 711), 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
In Los Angeles County: visit a Community Resource Center for in-person assistance, and ask for a Blue Shield Community Resource Center Representative.
Contact a local enrollment assistance office near you:
- LA County DPPS – agencies that provide enrollment assistance
- DHCS list of subcontractors and local CBO assistance
Watch a video about the Medi-Cal renewal process.
There are two ways your Medi-Cal may be renewed annually:
- Automatic renewal
If the county is able to verify your eligibility information electronically, you will be automatically renewed. The county will mail you a letter informing you that your renewal has been approved. You do not need to do anything.
- More information required for renewal
- If the county is not able to verify your eligibility information electronically, you will get a renewal packet in the mail.
- It is very important you fill out the renewal packet. This includes your proof of income. You have to send it back to the local county social services office as soon as possible.
- If your renewal is approved, the county will mail you a letter.
- You have a window of 60 days to mail your renewal packet. This window starts from the day you get it. If you do not mail your renewal packet within 60 days, you will lose your Medi-Cal coverage.
You can submit the renewal packet to your local county social services office in a few different ways. They are listed below.
Options for submitting your renewal packet:
Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services
San Diego County Health & Human Services Agency
|Phone|| [TTY: ]
7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
| [TTY: ]
7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
|Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services
P.O. Box 77267
Los Angeles, CA 90007-9819
|County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency Applications
P.O. Box 939044
San Diego, CA 92193-9005
Watch a video on how to submit your Medi-Cal renewal online.
|Visit County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency website.|
|In Person||Go to a DPSS office near you.||Go to a Family Resource or Live-Well center near you.|
If you would like to update your address with Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal, please call us:
Find a provider
Use our tool for the most up-to-date listing of doctors, specialists, hospitals, behavioral health services, and vision care providers in your area. You can also download or request a copy of the provider directory.
Find information about the benefits, services, and programs covered by Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal. Learn what to do if a service or a procedure requires prior authorization.
Member resources and links
Learn about our quality improvement initiatives, request a member ID card, change your primary care doctor and find information about our outreach program and community events.
If you no longer qualify for Medi-Cal
Learn about coverage options through Blue Shield of California's individual and Family Plans.