Quality improvement initiatives
Blue Shield of California Promise Medi-Cal Health Plan wants to make sure our members get good care and services. We have created a Quality Improvement Program (QIP) to monitor and evaluate the
of services our members receive. QIP also helps us improve care and services to both our members and providers.
The Quality Improvement Program focuses on multiple areas, including but not limited to:
- Provider accessibility, availability of appointments and after-hours services, and appointment wait times
- Provider credentialing and satisfaction
- Clinical practice guidelines
- Prescription drugs under- and over utilization
- Medical record keeping practices
- Facility site reviews, including access for disabled people
- Member/patient satisfaction and grievances
- Timeliness of claims handling
- Quality of care studies to assure appropriate:
- Well child visits and immunizations
- Annual physical exams for adults
- Cervical and breast cancer screenings
- Diabetes, asthma, and high blood pressure care and management
- Prenatal and postpartum care
- Cholesterol management
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
As a part of QIP, Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal has programs to help members to manage their medical conditions. These include Congestive Heart Failure and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
QIP results are evaluated annually. For an example of how we evaluate the quality of our services, see the 2018 Quality Improvement Executive Summary:
Frequently asked questions
See questions our members ask most frequently about Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal.
Member rights and responsibilities
Find out about your rights and responsibilities as a Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal member.