Welcome to your Blue Shield dental plan
Here are steps you can take to make the most of your dental plan:
1. Get your ID card
We will send you a dental ID card for your dental coverage. Please bring your ID card with you to your appointments. For questions about your dental coverage, or if you have not received your card, please contact Dental Member Services at the following numbers, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Pacific time, Monday through Friday:
- If you purchased your plan directly from Blue Shield, call (888) 271-4880.
- If you purchased your plan from Covered California, call (800) 286-7401.
2. Register for online accounts
First, register for an account at blueshieldca.com. To register for an online account with Blue Shield, use your member ID for your medical or dental plan.
With a Blue Shield member account, you can:
- Find providers that participate in your plan’s network
- Review your plan documents, such as your Evidence of Coverage or Health Services Agreement or plan policy
- Access wellness discount programs, which include gym memberships and massage therapy
Next, register for online access with the dental plan administrator at yourdentalplan.com/bsca. With this account, you can:
- Review claim information
- View your benefits and account balance
- Update or manage your account information
- Access treatment cost information
3. Find a network dental provider
You'll save money by selecting a dentist in network. For a simpler search, log in at blueshieldca.com and select Dental care. Otherwise, follow these steps to find dental providers in your plan’s network*:
- Go to our Find a Doctor tool.
- Click Dentists under “What are you looking for?”
- Enter your zip code and click Continue. Under “Do you already have a plan in mind?”, click yes.
- In the Find your plan window, click on the drop-down arrow to choose your plan type.
- Click on either Dental PPO (Individual Plans) or Dental HMO Plans (Individual/Family or Group plans), depending on the plan type you purchased.
- Once you have selected your plan, click Continue with this plan.
- Selecting your dental plan is required in order to find a network dentist. The selected dental network plan will display under “Search Dentists,” and you can begin your search. You can search by dentist type (specialty) or dentist name. You can also filter your results.
*The search results will list providers that are participating in the plan you selected. We make every effort to ensure that our list of providers is current and accurate. However, because providers leave networks from time to time, these lists are subject to change, and you are encouraged to check with the provider before using their services.
4. Visit your dental provider
Once you have selected a dentist, call the dentist’s office to make an appointment. If you have a dental HMO plan, be sure to schedule an appointment with a dentist in network so your services are covered. Bring your Blue Shield ID card to the appointment with you.
5. Pay for your care
If you have a dental PPO plan, you can see any dentist or specialist you choose. Just remember you’ll get the best value by selecting a dentist in the PPO network. Your dentist will bill Blue Shield for most services. We will determine what you can be charged – the allowed amount – based on our negotiated rates for services rendered.
With a dental HMO plan, you are only covered for services provided by a dentist or specialist in network. Receiving care from a non-network provider is not covered, and you will be responsible for paying for all billed charges.