A specialty pharmacy is available to Blue Shield members with an outpatient prescription drug (pharmacy) benefit. Specialty pharmacies fill prescriptions used to treat certain complex or chronic conditions that usually require close monitoring and special handling. Prior authorization is required for specialty medications, including self-administered injectables. Members prescribed self-administered injectables and members whose coverage includes the specialty drug benefit must obtain these drugs from a Network Specialty Pharmacy listed below.1
Please have your physician call or fax your prescription to CVS Specialty.
Network Specialty Pharmacies provide convenient mail delivery of specialty medications, as well as access to personalized, supportive, and clinically-effective pharmaceutical care.
There are many benefits of using a Network Specialty Pharmacy:
- Team of dedicated pharmacists and nurses are available to answer your questions
- Coordination of care with your doctor
- Medications packaged for special handling requirements such as refrigeration and delivered to a location of your choice
- Convenience of receiving your prescriptions through the mail, which saves you a trip to the pharmacy
- Easy refills and refill reminders
- Education and counseling programs to meet your needs and detailed instructions on how to safely and effectively take your medication
- All supplies required for administration of specialty medications that are injectable (such as needles/syringes, alcohol swabs, sharps containers, etc.) are included, at no additional charge
1Members enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan, Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, and some Commercial plans may have prior authorized, specialty medications filled at any network retail pharmacy. Check your Evidence of Coverage (EOC) or Certificate of insurance (COI) for your specific benefit information or call Customer Service.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Page last updated: 10/01/2023
© Blue Shield of California 1999-2023. All rights reserved. Blue Shield of California is an independent member of the Blue Shield Association.
This information is not a complete description of benefits. Call Customer Service at (800) 776-4466 (TTY: 711) for more information.
The Formulary, pharmacy network, and/or provider network may change at any time. You will receive notice when necessary.
The company complies with applicable state laws and federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude people, or treat them differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic group identification, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, religion, sex, marital status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, mental disability, or physical disability. La compañía cumple con las leyes de derechos civiles federales y estatales aplicables, y no discrimina, ni excluye ni trata de manera diferente a las personas por su raza, color, país de origen, identificación con determinado grupo étnico, condición médica, información genética, ascendencia, religión, sexo, estado civil, género, identidad de género, orientación sexual, edad, ni discapacidad física ni mental. 本公司遵守適用的州法律和聯邦民權法律，並且不會以種族、膚色、原國籍、族群認同、醫療狀況、遺傳資訊、血統、宗教、性別、婚姻狀況、性別認同、性取向、年齡、精神殘疾或身體殘疾而進行歧視、排斥或區別對待他人。
Blue Shield of California 601 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607.