Why do you need a dental or dental+vision plan?
The latest studies show that more than 90% of all common diseases have oral symptoms.2 In addition, eye exams can often detect serious chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol.3 Whether you need treatment or just want preventive care, we have options for you. Blue Shield’s optional dental or dental+vision plans provide coverage for dental and vision services and more at low cost.
Plan F Extra and Plan G Extra members can consider dental coverage with one of our other dental PPO plans because Plan F Extra and Plan G Extra already includes vision benefits.
Dental plan advantages
Specialty Duo dental + vision package advantages*
*Dental/Vision/Dental and Vision benefits have limited access outside of California.
With each of these plans, you can visit any dentist. However, your out-of-pocket cost will be lower if the dentist is within the network.
Become a member today!
Download the following for complete information about these specialty plans:
Current Medicare Supplement plan members can sign up using the dental plan enrollment application:
For existing Medicare Supplement plan members who want to transfer into Plan F Extra and Plan G Extra will need to complete the full application and add Dental plan selection there.
If you have any questions, contact your Blue Shield agent. or call (877) 890-7587, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. [TTY 711], 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays, to speak with a Blue Shield representative.
Dental PPO plans information
Find more details about 2020 Dental PPO plans offered by Blue Shield to Medicare Supplement plan members.
* Underwritten by Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company (Blue Shield Life).
- Specialty Duo package includes both Specialty Duo dental plan and Specialty Duo vision plan for Medicare Supplement plan members.
- “Periodontics and Oral-Systemic Relationship."Journal of the California Dental Association, January 2016, volume 44, number 1; pages 29-33.
- “Systemic manifestations of oral diseases,” www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329699/
- Dental providers in and out of California are available through a contracted dental plan administrator. Vision providers in and out of California are available through a contracted vision plan administrator.
- The third annual teeth-cleaning benefit is available with the Dental PPO 1000, Dental PPO 1500 and Specialty Duo Dental plan for Medicare Supplement plan members.
- Dental PPO 1000, Dental PPO 1500 and Specialty Duo Dental plan for all Medicare Supplement dental plan members have a 12-month waiting period for major restorative services and procedures such as crowns, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery, and removable or fixed prosthetics. The Specialty Duo Vision has a 90 day waiting period for all vision care services.
- If you have the Household Savings Program, you and your other household member need to select and enroll in the same dental PPO plan or dental+vision package in order to receive one bill that combines Medicare Supplement plan with Dental PPO plan or dental+vision package rates.
- Each calendar year, the member is responsible for all charges incurred after the plan has paid these amounts for covered dental services.
- The coinsurance percentage indicated is a percentage of allowed amounts that we pay to providers. Non-network providers can charge more than our allowable amount. When members use non-network providers, they must pay the applicable copayment/coinsurance plus any amount that exceeds our allowable amount. Charges in excess of the allowable amount do not count toward the calendar-year deductible or copayment maximum.
Page last updated:1/3/2020