Report fraud, waste, and abuse
What is fraud, waste, and abuse (FWA)?
- Fraud is an intentional misrepresentation that may result in unauthorized costs to a healthcare program.
- Waste is the inappropriate use of healthcare funds or resources without a justifiable need to do so.
- Abuse is a practice that is inconsistent with sound medical or business practices that may directly or indirectly result in unnecessary costs to a healthcare program.
Protect yourself and your benefits with helpful tips from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Be aware of genetic testing fraud
Scammers approach unsuspecting enrollees at local health fairs, senior housing facilities, community centers, home health agencies, and other trustworthy locations to carry out genetic testing fraud. They falsely promise that Medicare will pay for the test, claiming that you simply need to provide a cheek swab, your ID, and Medicare information in order to receive your test results. Unfortunately, now these scammers have your health plan or Medicare number, and they can bill Medicare thousands of dollars for tests or services you never received.
How to report fraud, waste, and abuse
- Blue Shield of California’s Medicare fraud hotline: (855) 331-4894 [TTY: 711] or via email: MedicareStopFraud@blueshieldca.com
- Or to call Medicare, call: (800) MEDICARE (800) 633-4227, 24 hours a day, seven days a week (TTY: (877) 486-2048).