With the over-the-counter (OTC) items benefit, you get a set amount of money each quarter to order everyday health and wellness items. Delivery is included and you can order items such as aspirin, vitamins, cold medicine, and bandages. For the full list, you can download our OTC items catalog.
Quarterly benefit allowance
To find out how much your OTC items benefit covers each quarter1, just check your plan's Summary of Benefits or Evidence of Coverage. You can place one order per quarter and cannot roll over your unused allowance into the next quarter.
How to place an order
You can place an order by phone or online using your member ID card. Orders typically arrive within two weeks by mail. If you place an order by phone via the IVR (Interactive Voice Response), there is a limit of 15 items or less. Refer to the OTC catalog for more information.
Eligibility for OTC items benefit
You are eligible if you have one of the following Blue Shield of California plans:
- Blue Shield Inspire (HMO) – Los Angeles, Orange, Alameda, San Mateo, Fresno, Madera, Santa Clara, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Merced counties
- Blue Shield Inspire (HMO D-SNP) – Fresno, San Joaquin, and Stanislaus counties
- Blue Shield Inspire (PPO) – Alameda County
- Blue Shield 65 Plus (HMO) – San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Kern, San Diego, and Ventura counties
- Blue Shield 65 Plus Choice Plan (HMO) – San Bernardino and Riverside counties
- Blue Shield AdvantageOptimum Plan (HMO) – Los Angeles, Orange, Fresno, Santa Clara, Merced, Stanislaus, and San Joaquin counties
- Blue Shield AdvantageOptimum Plan 1 (HMO) – San Diego County
- Blue Shield Coordinated Choice Plan (HMO) – Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, San Diego, Fresno, Santa Clara, Merced, San Joaquin, and Stanislaus counties
- Blue Shield TotalDual Plan (HMO D-SNP) – Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties
- Medicare Supplement Plan G Extra
- Medicare Supplement Plan G Inspire