As a nonprofit health plan, Blue Shield is guided by our mission and values, which encourage innovation and enable us to be a catalyst for constructive change.
Our mission and values are embodied in our proposal to guarantee health coverage for all Californians, the first time a major health plan has called for universal coverage. See our 2015 Mission Report.
To ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at an affordable price.
Trusted and trusting:
- We build trusting relationships.
- We are honest and ethical; do the right thing.
- We are open and candid.
- We let people do their jobs.
- We keep our promises.
- We respect and care about each other.
- We drive learning and development for ourselves and others.
- We practice Wellvolution making an investment in us.
- We acknowledge and recognize people’s contribution.
- We focus on the outcome, not just the activities or milestones along the way.
- We take personal ownership and accountability for getting there.
- We act with integrity and know the ends never justify the means.
- We bust silos and keep an enterprise-wide view.
- We seek out and connect with the right partners internally and externally.
- Interdependence and strong partners are our strength.
Agile and nimble:
- We scout the environment and anticipate change.
- We remove barriers to agility.
- We use "smart trust" with data and people.
- We embrace risk taking.
- We challenge our own thinking.
- We experiment, learn and improve.
- We learn equally from success and failure.
- We retain what we need to remain financially viable, returning the balance to our customers and community.
- We are conscientious about how we impact our customers.
- We anticipate and respond to key needs of the customer.
Equal Employment Opportunity
To learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity policy, download our EEO Statement
Blue Shield of California's Code of Conduct
To learn more about how we conduct business, download Blue Shield of California's Code of Conduct
return to top