- Year founded: 1939
- Service area: California
- Annual revenue: $13.4 billion
- Membership: 3.5 million
- Total employees: 5,800
- President and Chief Executive Officer: Paul Markovich
- Blue Shield is a California not-for-profit mutual benefit corporation
- National affiliation: Independent Member of the BlueCross BlueShield Association
- Corporate Name: California Physicians' Service
- Blue Shield of California Foundation: Since 2005, Blue Shield has contributed more than $325 million to the Blue Shield of California Foundation to fund nonprofit organizations that help strengthen the health safety net and address and prevent domestic violence
- 2% Pledge: Blue Shield voluntarily caps its net income at 2% of revenue, with approval from the board of directors. More than $560 million has been returned to customers and the community a result of the pledge.
Financial Strength Ratings (as of December 2014)
- A rating from Fitch Ratings for Blue Shield of California
- A (excellent) rating from AM Best for California Physicians' Service
- A+ (excellent) rating by Weiss Ratings for California Physicians' Service
Primary Addresses and Phone Numbers
50 Beale Street
San Francisco, CA 94105-1808
Large Group Business Unit
100 North Sepulveda Blvd.
El Segundo, CA 90245
Individual, Small Group and Government Business Unit
6300 Canoga Avenue
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
CalPERS Business Unit and Consumer Operations
4203 Town Center Boulevard
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Blue Shield also has offices in Fresno, Costa Mesa, Lodi, Ontario, Redding, Sacramento, San Diego, San Jose, Ventura and Walnut Creek.
Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company
Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company (Blue Shield Life) is a California corporation founded in 1954 and is licensed as a life and disability insurer. Blue Shield Life is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Blue Shield of California. CA Insurer #: 1450-6, NAIC #: 61557. Corporate headquarters is 50 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105.
return to top