What do you mean by For Care, Not ProfitSM? As a nonprofit health plan, we put the care of our members before profits.
It takes bold action to make coverage affordable. We are:
- Offering health plans with a wide range of benefits that give consumers options to lower out-of-pocket costs when they access care and choose the right level of coverage for their needs and budget.
- Collaborating with doctors and hospitals to help them deliver more efficient, cost-effective care, including integrated accountable care organizations throughout the state.
- Pledging to limit our annual net income to 2% of revenue, and if we earn more than 2%, we’ll return the difference to our customers and the community. Since 2011, the company has returned $560 million to customers and the community.
- Building on our commitment to the Affordable Care Act to achieve health coverage for all Californians.
Comprehensive coverage and service
Our holistic approach includes choices for medical, dental and vision plans, and even life insurance. We’re committed to helping members actively manage their care with:
- Preventive care services at no copay
- Access to alternative treatment such as acupuncture, chiropractic or massage therapy
- Wellness programs that encourage members, their families, and businesses of all sizes to be proactive about living well
- Personalized case management for complex and/or chronic conditions to help improve quality of life
- 24/7 online access to:
- Locate providers in California or away from home
- Check symptoms or find health resources
- Chat with a nurse or a pharmacist
- Track claims
- Compare treatment costs at different facilities, and more!
We’re finding new ways to listen and have a dialogue with Californians:
- Our Member Reviews program lets everyone knows how we’re doing and helps us continue to enhance our products and services. We’re proud to have earned 4.2 out of 5 stars for overall member satisfaction.
- Social media programs like Team Shield allow for customer service via Facebook or Twitter; and Shield Listens provides video responses to current issues or events that are on your mind.
Access to quality care
We help our members find access to quality care in a variety of ways.
- Our Find a Provider tool provides up-to-date hospital information about provider quality and satisfaction, and lets members rate and review their own doctors.
- We participate in the Blue Distinction® Centers program, a national designation awarded by Blues plans to hospitals and medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality health care in specialty areas like cardiac care.
- Our plans have earned accreditations from National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), Utilization Review Accreditation Commission (URAC), and Centers for Medicare Services (CMS).
Doing the right thing
...It’s one of the important ways we distinguish who we are.
- We strive to uphold high standards of ethical business practices in our programs, products, and interactions with everyone we serve. In fact, we have been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2012 and 2013 by Ethisphere Institute.
- We value corporate citizenship and are on a mission to provide access to high-quality, affordable health care that is worthy of our family and friends
- The Blue Shield of California Foundation is funded entirely by Blue Shield of California contributions and has awarded more than $200M in grants since 2005 to community organizations to make health care effective, safe and accessible, particularly for underserved communities. The Foundation is also dedicated to ending domestic violence through a coordinated network of service, support and education.