After medical coverage, dental coverage is the benefit most requested by employees. With our affordable dental plans and access to some of the largest dental provider networks in the country1, you'll add value to your employees' benefits package and help them better manage their oral and overall health. And offering access to preventive oral care can help keep employees happier and more productive at work.
What We Offer
Our dental plans are available with or without a Blue Shield medical plan. We offer a variety of benefit levels, plan flexibility, no waiting periods2 and one-source administration. For added flexibility, our voluntary dental plans require no minimum employer contribution.
Dental INO SmileSM plans
The SmileSM In-Network Only (INO) dental plan portfolio3 pays benefits on a coinsurance basis, but with no out-of-network coverage1. The INO network includes all the same providers as the dental PPO network. Members can access covered services from any provider in the INO network, giving members access to over 25,000 providers in California and over 218,000 nationwide1. The INO plan lets you tailor dental coverage for your employees by selecting options from these three key components:
- Voluntary or contributory
- Endodontics and periodontics coverage level (either a 50% or 80% coinsurance level)
- Orthodontia coverage (can be included or excluded)
- $1,500 annual benefit maximum
- Orthodontic coverage of $1,000 per calendar year available, for children and adults
- Oral cancer screening covered as a diagnostic and preventive service
- Covered diagnostic and preventive services covered at 100%
Dental PPO SmileSM Plans
With our dental PPO plans, you and your employees have access to a nationwide dental network of more than 25,000 providers in California and 218,000 PPO providers nationwide.1
Your employees save money and get the most out of their benefits by choosing a provider from our large network of general and specialty dentists. They can also receive care from any licensed dentist of their choice, covered as an out-of-network benefit.
- No waiting periods so employees have access to benefits on the first day of coverage.
- 100 percent coverage for diagnostic and preventive services from network providers.
- Enhanced dental services for pregnant women.
- Orthodontic coverage options for children and adults with some plans, with up to a $1000 orthodontic benefit per member, per year. To learn more, see the handy Member Guide to Ortho Coverage. (PDF, 464KB)
- Choices for low annual deductibles and calendar year maximums.
Dental HMO Plans
Dental HMO plans help your employees and their dependents take control of their dental costs with the network dental provider of their choice. We're now introducing four new dental HMO plans to offer coverage for basic and major services, while delivering lower out-of-pocket costs for employees.
Our dental HMO features include:
- Over 16,000 HMO providers in California1
- $5 office visit copayments
- No deductibles, claim forms or calendar-year maximums
- No charge for diagnostic and preventive services
- Select plans have orthodontia benefits for adults and children.
Dual Option Dental
Give your employees a choice between any two dental plans, including voluntary plans.
Find a Provider or call member services at (888) 702-4171 for dental PPO/INO plans, or at (800) 585-8111 for dental HMO plans. Call center hours are Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (PST).
Recommend a Dentist
If your employee's dentist is not in the provider network, they can nominate a dentist (PDF, 239KB) to join the network.
1 Dental providers in and out of California are available through a contracted dental plan administrator.
2 Voluntary dental PPO and INO plans have a 12-month waiting period for major services.
3 Underwritten by Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company (Blue Shield Life) and pending regulatory approval.