Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan has established a Disease Management Program to provide education, care coordination, and support to our members with certain chronic conditions.
The following Population Health Management Programs are available:
- Heart Failure
Blue Shield Promise refers to these programs as "population health management." Participation in these programs is free and voluntary for all program-eligible Blue Shield Promise members.
These programs provide members with the education necessary to better manage their conditions. Our Disease Management nurses work closely with the members and their doctors to keep them as healthy as possible and avoid unnecessary hospitalizations. The nurses assist the members in coordinating their care and obtaining all required preventive health screenings.
The programs are administered by Blue Shield Promise, which automatically identifies members with these medical conditions who meet specific criteria, offering them participation in these programs.
Benefits to the member
- Regular nurse calls from our disease managers to review the member’s health status and provide support and education
- Phone support via our toll-free number is available for members to speak with our disease manager about their condition and answer any questions they may have
- Reminders to members to obtain preventive health screenings, exams, and tests, as needed
- Educational mailings to members of materials to help them understand their chronic condition
- A Peak Flow Meter (for asthma only) for ages 5 and under, to help better manage and monitor the member’s condition
Benefits to the physician
- Member compliance with physician treatment plan
- Detailed reports informing you of a member’s status changes, or concerns that may require physician intervention
- Comprehensive member medication profile
- Care coordination with the primary care provider and specialists
If you want additional information or would like to discuss population health management programs with our Disease Management Program Manager, call
Phone:(800) 468-9935, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
To refer a Blue Shield Promise member to any of the population health management programs, use the referral form:
Disease management referral form (PDF, 360 KB)