Total Care and Total Care+ doctors and hospitals focus on more than illness – they treat the whole patient. These providers offer preventive care and services that promote overall well-being. So you get care for when you’re sick and continuing support to keep you healthy.
Health care for the whole person
By choosing a Total Care provider, you get :
- Access to preventive care and wellness programs
- Coordinated care between primary doctor and specialists
- Ongoing support for chronic conditions
- Additional outreach for issues such as medication adherence
- Extended access hours and follow-up calls
- Personalized support in making decisions about your health care
In addition to the above criteria, Total Care+ providers also demonstrate a history of offering more affordable care.
What makes a provider Total Care?
Total Care is determined by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. A provider is designated as Total Care based on a variety of criteria:
- Meeting quality and cost goals
- Delivering higher quality and affordable care
- Using analytics to track health data and improve healthcare practices
- Basing provider payments on performance and patient outcomes, not number of patients
Find a Total Care provider
Call the customer service number on your Blue Shield member ID card or log in to your online account and use the Total Care filter in your search.
Total Care providers in CA
Total Care providers outside CA
Total Care providers have met national criteria based on provider commitment to deliver value-based care to a population of Blue members. Total Care+ providers also met a goal of delivering quality care at a lower total cost relative to other providers in their area. Program details are displayed on bcbs.com. Individual outcomes may vary. For details on a provider’s in-network status or your own policy’s coverage, contact Blue Shield Customer Service and ask your provider before making an appointment. Neither the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association nor any Blue Plans are responsible for non-covered charges or other losses or damages resulting from Total Care or other provider finder information or care received from Total Care or other providers.