- Year founded: 1939
- Service area: California
- Annual revenue: $21+ billion
- Membership: 4.5 million
- Total employees: 7,500
- President and Chief Executive Officer: Paul Markovich
- Blue Shield is a California taxpaying nonprofit corporation
- Blue Shield and its affiliates provide health, dental, vision, Medicaid and Medicare health care service plans in California
- National affiliation: Independent Member of the BlueCross BlueShield Association
- Corporate Name: California Physicians' Service
- Blue Shield of California Foundation: Over the last three years, Blue Shield has contributed more than $120 million to the Blue Shield of California Foundation to fund nonprofit organizations that help strengthen the health safety net and address and prevent domestic violence.
View our fact sheet (PDF, 2.8 MB)
Financial strength ratings (as of April 2019)
Primary address and phone numbers
Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company
Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company (Blue Shield Life) is a California corporation founded in 1954 and is licensed as a life and disability insurer. Blue Shield Life is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Blue Shield of California. CA Insurer #: 1450-6, NAIC #: 61557. Corporate headquarters is 601 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607.