Can anyone submit disputes on Provider Connection?
You need to be registered, signed in, and have access to claims on Provider Connection to submit disputes online. You can submit and view disputes for claims connected to the Tax IDs that you have access to. If you need additional access, talk to your Provider Connection account manager.
Is the dispute review process different when you submit online or by mail?
The dispute review process is the same whether you submit online or by mail. You may receive the determination sooner if you submit online.
What kinds of disputes can be submitted online?
You can submit disputes online for commercial, Shared Advantage®, and BlueCard® claims. File disputes for Medicare Advantage, Blue Shield of California Promise Health Plan, Federal Employee Program (FEP), and dental plan claims by mail.
- How do I initiate a dispute online?
Can I submit initial and final disputes online?
Yes. For each new submission, whether initial or final, BlueShield will assign a new case number.
Are there rules about bundling?
Yes. Bundles must be for the same type of issue. There are two ways to submit bundles depending on the number of claims you are bundling:
Bundles that contain 20 or less claims are reviewed individually after you enter the claim numbers.
- Write one description.
- Attach the documents once.
- You will receive acknowledgement and determination letters for each claim.
You can only bundle BlueCard® claims if they’re for services provided to the same out-of-state member.
If you have 21 or more disputes in a bundle, attach claim numbers as a list. XLS and CSV files are accepted. Bundles submitted online can only include commercial or Shared Advantage claims. BlueCard® claims cannot be bundled in a claims list. Also add any supporting documents you may want to include.
- You will receive one acknowledgement and one determination letter for the bundle.
- You will receive a determination letter detailing the resolution for each claim along with a list of all the claims you submitted.
- You will be able to view and download all documents from the Submitted disputes page.
What files can I submit online?
You can submit up to 20 PDF, DOC, and XLS files of up to 50 MBs for most claims. Upload up to five files at a time.
You will be asked to provide additional information for each file, designating them as medical records, contract/pricing, itemized bills or other. Please include a description for each file you attach.
For BlueCard® claims you can submit up to 20 PDF files of up to 10 MBs. Note, we may need to share these files with the member’s out-of-state plan. Files that do not meet these requirements cannot be uploaded.
What should I do if I’m having problems uploading large files?
Large files may take longer to upload on slow connections. If you are experiencing issues, wait a few minutes, then resubmit. You can also try uploading one file at a time instead of multiple files at once. If you’re still having trouble, contact us.
I need to add more documents to my dispute, what do I do?
You can add supporting documents to disputes that are still in the open or pending status. Go to the Submitted disputes page. Look for the Add documents link in the status column on the right. It will be there as long as the dispute is pending.
Where can I see status for disputes I have submitted?
Look up dispute status and retrieve letters for a dispute you submitted in the past on the Submitted disputes page.
- Search and filter the list of disputes to find your dispute by case or claim number, member's last name, dates of service, or submission date. Disputes submitted online or by mail are on different tabs.
- On a dispute record, you’ll find copies of the letters you’ve received via email, such as the determination letter and acknowledgement letter.
- You can view and download determination letters or claim list response for bundled dispute submissions.
- Disputes submitted by mail can be searched on a separate tab.
- Disputes made within the last five years are available for claims under your Tax IDs.
If you’re receiving an error when loading the Submitted by mail disputes list, try refreshing the page.
If you have submitted disputes via PCH tool, you can see status under the Submitted by mail tab. You can also open filters and search for a specific case by case or claim number or other criteria. The Appeals status page is still available and can be used to look up dispute status as well until it migrates to the Submitted disputes page in the future. Note that records on the Appeal status page can take up to 24 hours to update.
How long are letters available online?
Starting October 2022, we’re extending the period of time you can view letters online from six months to two years. This applies to both online and mail submissions. During this time, if you don’t see the letter you need, contact us and a customer service representative will get the letter for you.
I'm seeing the "something went wrong" message. What should I do?
Submitting a dispute
This message may appear when there is a connectivity issue or another problem. We suggest waiting a few minutes and resubmitting. If the problem continues, use the Feedback tab or contact us to let us know.
Searching for submitted dispute
If you’re receiving an error when loading results, try refreshing the page. We are aware of the issue and working on getting it addressed.
If you have submitted disputes via PCH tool, they may not be available at the moment. We are working on fixing this issue.
Uploading a file
If you are receiving an error when uploading a file, check your connection, refresh the page, or start over by closing and re-opening your browser.
What are the rules for filing BlueCard® disputes?
The rules for filing BlueCard® disputes (for services to a member with an out-of-state plan) are slightly different.
- For BlueCard® claims, you can submit up to 20 PDF files of up to 10 MBs. Note, we may need to share these files with the member’s out-of-state plan.
- You can only bundle BlueCard® claims when they are for services provided to the same member. Up to 20 BlueCard® claims can be bundled at one time.
- BlueCard® claims cannot be included as part of commercial claim bundles.
Please keep these in mind when you file.
Will provider manuals be updated?
Yes, the manuals will be updated to include information about the new online dispute submission process.