Small Business Renewal Center
Choosing and maintaining your coverage
Continuing your small business (1-100) coverage with Blue Shield is easy, and with a few simple steps you'll be on your way to running a healthy business.
Step 1: Choose your Blue Shield plan(s)
Review your renewal packet from Blue Shield. You may also request an electronic copy of your renewal packet from your broker, Blue Shield representative or by emailing us at email@example.com.
You have choices:
- If you want to keep your current plan(s) all you need to do is pay your bill and recertify (if required) as a small business.
- If you want to change your plan(s), ask your broker to email you a quote. In 2015 all renewing customers will select from ACA plans.
Step 2: Access your Open Enrollment online
Log in to Employer Connection Plus to make member level changes during your open enrollment period. You will have until the last day of your renewal period month to:
- Member Open Enrollment plan selections
- New Hire and Dependent additions
- Subscriber and Dependent terminations
- Life event changes
- Member information updates (e.g., addresses, phone number, name change, etc.)
Step 3: Access your plan documents online
Distribute important plan information to your employees. Email your employees a link to our new blueshieldca.com/welcome page. Employees have access to their:
- Summary of Benefits
- Evidence of Coverage/Certificate of Insurance for Medical and Specialty Benefits plans
Download the Small Business Administrator's Guide for information covering eligibility, health reform laws, access to care, contact information, employees status changes, Cal-COBRA and more:
2018 administrator's guide (PDF, 2.3MB)
2017 administrator's guide (PDF, 2.3MB)
2016 administrator's guide (PDF, 1.4MB)
2015 administrator's guide (PDF, 1.0MB)
2014 administrator's guide (PDF, 1.4MB)
2013 administrator's guide (PDF, 1.3MB)
List of exceptions for online submission
Please use the appropriate forms for the following changes:
- Specialty Benefits buy up and standalone coverage changes
- COBRA and Cal-COBRA enrollment changes or additions
- Waiting period selections that are separate for employees based on their status
- Domestic partner coverage changes (Narrow/Broad)
- Employer contribution changes
- Part-time employee coverage additions or removals
- Refusal of Coverage forms
Remember, you must log in to Employer Connection Plus to make updates outside of your open enrollment period, such as address and name changes, or to change status for qualifying events.
Access our video library
Our video library contains useful demos can help you learn more about the great features you can enjoy while using Employer Connection Plus. Learn how to add a subscriber, delete a dependent, download your member census, and more.
You can transfer plans by working with your broker. Please remember to also submit a signed Verification and Statement of Understanding (PDF, 72KB).
2019 Sales Guide (PDF, 955KB)
Blue Shield of California Off Exchange and Mirror plan packages, effective January 1, 2019.
Why Blue Shield (PDF, 766KB)
Blue Shield of California's mission is to provide affordable access to high-quality care at an affordable price.