Get your flu shot to stay healthy
The flu shot. It’s a modern scientific life-saver that’s all too easy to forget about in our busy fall and winter schedules. Less than half of Americans remembered to get their flu shot last year, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which played a part in making 2018 one of the worst flu seasons in 40 years. Almost a million Americans landed in the hospital with the flu, and 80,000 people died from flu-related illness last year.
The single best way to prevent the flu is by getting your annual flu vaccine. Just like wearing a seatbelt in the car prevents many injuries, the flu vaccine prevents many people from getting the flu. And, even better than a seatbelt, the benefits of the flu shot go way beyond your own health. Getting your flu vaccine can help those in your community who are at a higher risk of getting sick, including babies too young for the shot, pregnant women, older people, and people with health conditions.
Here are five simple ways to make it easier to get your vaccine this year:
- Make it a family affair – Thanks to regular reminders from schools and pediatricians, kids are way more likely to remember to get their flu shot than grownups. Set a good example by joining your kids and getting your shot the same day they do.
- Take a crew with you – Go together as a group with friends, relatives, or co-workers to get your flu shots – and celebrate with a treat after! It’s fun and helps make sure the people you hang out with the most are also protected from the flu.
- Mark your calendar – Set a simple calendar reminder to repeat every year to help you get it in gear for flu shot season again. Or pick a date like the first of September as your annual go-to. If you reach the end of December with no shot, it’s still not too late. Go in ASAP for a healthier new year.
- Go for the nose – If you’re really scared of needles, you can still fight the flu. Talk to your doctor about getting the version of the flu vaccine delivered by nasal spray instead of a shot.
- Bring the doctor to you – Don’t have time to get to the doctor’s office? With Heal™ you can get vaccines for yourself and your family in the comfort and privacy of your home. Heal even offers visits on nights and weekends.
No more excuses! Make sure you get your flu vaccine this season to help everyone around you have a healthier year.
Where to get your flu shot
Learn about getting your flu shot at your local pharmacy