Blue Shield of California is committed to improving healthcare delivery. One of the ways we do this is through our Accountable Care Organization (ACO) program.
We collaborate with doctors and hospitals to improve patient care and reduce healthcare costs. Our ACOs are designed to increase patient engagement, improve quality of care, decrease overall costs, and maximize satisfaction for our members, employer groups, brokers and providers.
See our ACO Directory for a full list of collaborations.
ACOs provide value-based care
ACOs move health care from a system in which doctors and hospitals are paid based on the number of services they deliver to one in which they are paid for keeping people healthy in an evidence-based, cost-effective way—a system known as value-based care.
We launched our first ACO in 2010 and have been expanding ever since. We now have more than 42 ACOs in 22 regions, serving 385,000 Californians. Since it began, Blue Shield’s ACO program has:
- Reduced hospital admissions by 17%
- Decreased days that patients stay in the hospital by 16%
- Saved more than $480 million in estimated healthcare costs
- Reduced patient re-admissions by 13%
- Reduced ER visits by 7%
ACO blog posts
For perspectives on our ACOs and coordinated care trends, read our blog posts.
ACO Summit presentations
Watch how innovation, early prevention and better management lead to improved health care.
- 6/13/17: Modern Healthcare: The March of Rising Healthcare Costs Has Slowed, But It's Still Unsustainable
- 8/18/16: Becker’s Hospital Review: 100 ACOs to know
- 6/3/16: Health Payer Intelligence: What Are the Benefits of Accountable Care Organizations?
- 5/7/16: Managed Healthcare Executive: Blue Shield of California CEO shares ACO success secrets
- 12/18/15: Health Payer Intelligence: Blue Shield, Accountable Care Organization Saved $325 Million
- 12/9/15: Becker's Hospital Review: Blue Shield of California ACOs save $325M in 5 years
- 12/8/15: Sacramento Business Journal: Blue Shield saves $325M on accountable care
- 9/10/15: Becker's Hospital Review: 100 Accountable Care Organizations to Know
- 6/10/15: California Healthline: Why California's ACOs Could Become a Model for the Nation
- 4/30/14: Orange County Register: Doctors, hospitals and insurers team up
- 4/17/14: Health Affairs: Four Years Into A Commercial ACO For CalPERS: Substantial Savings And Lessons Learned
ACO press releases
- 8/24/16: Blue Shield of California, PrimeCare Medical Network, Inc., and San Antonio Regional Hospital Collaborate to Expand ACO Network in Southern California
- 12/8/15: Blue Shield of California’s Accountable Care Organizations Achieve More Than $325 Million in Healthcare Cost Savings in First Five Years
- 11/4/14: Blue Shield of California Introduces Trio Product
- 7/21/14: Blue Shield of California, Santa Clara County IPA and HCA West Launch Accountable Care Initiative
- 3/18/14: Blue Shield, Hill Physicians and Dignity Health Expand Successful Accountable Care Model to San Joaquin County
- 3/11/14: Blue Shield of California and Inland Empire Physician Groups Launch Accountable Care Initiative